Thoughts of a foreign volunteer teaching at Ananda Sastralaya, Matugama

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Name: Talha Waheed
Country: Pakistan
Intern at: Ananda Sastralay, Matugama
Date of internship: 27th June - 10th August (2011)

After arriving to Sri Lanka, I analyzed the general level of English knowledge among the student body, the situation was not that optimistic. The majority of the student population lacked basic knowhow for the language, they were reluctant to use it in class, and did not recognize its significance. This was an extremely worrying site in an otherwise well-structured education system. Taking this into account I revised my initial plans and focused on getting the students to be able to comprehend basic spoken English, and to push them to express themselves as much as possible. Looking back at my own performance, with all honesty I sensed that at several occasions I failed (frustratingly so) in achieving what I wanted to. I then tried implementing the native language into my lessons; this seemed to motivate the students. They appreciated the fact that a foreigner is trying to learn their language and hence made a similar effort in terms of English. I believe I might have been successful in instilling a bit of confidence in some if not all the students in using English as a means of education. I am most concerned about A’level students as their time to pass out is right around the corner, and ironically they were the weakest in English skills out of the entire student population. Unfortunately, they seemed like a lost cause considering the minimal school time they have left. I still made an effort in motivating them to read the English newspaper, to practice English exams, and to remind them of the significance of the language at university level. However, on an optimistic note, the younger students showed signs of progress; they can be groomed well, if taken the correct measures. Many more interns are required after me to reach the goal that we intend to achieve, this is a continuous process. In addition, I would recommend the hiring of a permanent English counselor who could understand the situation and the weak points better than a foreign intern, and could interact with the students for a longer period of time. I reiterate one last time that the importance of this target cannot be stressed on enough! The students of this country are well groomed, manner-able, and intelligent; but lack of English knowledge halting their progress would be extremely unfortunate.



Share this article on :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2010-2011 Matugama Education Zone All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by Herdiansyah Hamzah | Published by Borneo Templates | Powered by Blogger.comCoolbthemes.com..