My teaching experience at Udugama Junior School

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

When I arrived at school on my first working day the 6th of September I was a bit surprised by the school assembly. We do not have something like this in Germany and we do not have school uniforms either. I got used to the school assembly quickly and in the end I enjoyed it even though I did not understand much. First students and teachers were praying, they hissed the Sri Lankan flag, one student was reading the news, one student was telling something about a famous writer and one student was telling something in English. The assembly finished with a little prayer and everyone saying “Ayubowan” and folding the hands in the typical gesture.

On the first days at school I was a bit overstrained. Everything was so new for me. I had not taught before and now it was even more difficult because the students I taught did not speak my language. After some days it became easier for me. I knew their English competencies (which are indeed not sufficient) and I got used to the (school) climate. Normally I taught for 4 periods in the morning and then one class stayed with me after school. Each day one of the other teachers prepared a nice lunch for me.

After half of the time of my 6 weeks stay had passed I came to a point where I felt exhausted. In some classes I did not see any progress. For example there was a girl in grade 8 which did not know the English word “Banana” and even I knew just after 3 weeks stay in Sri Lanka that the Sinhala meaning was “Kassel”. I realized that I could not keep up to the teaching plan I had prepared and I felt like I would not be able to teach for another three weeks. But then I over thought and lowered my expectations and started with games and group activities where every student could be involved. It worked out, every student was enjoying the lesson and most of them were not afraid to talk to me and ask me questions about anything.

My favourite classes were grade 5 (because no matter what I did with them they enjoyed it and we had so much fun together singing songs and playing games) and grade 9 (because for whatever reason their English was the best, so I could work well with them and moreover they were very interested in learning and using English).

I went on two fieldtrips with the school, which I enjoyed a lot. One was to the near surrounding of the school (they have a beautiful landscape there) and one to the ancient temple Pahurukanda.

On the 6th of October we celebrated World Teachers Day at my school. It was a very nice day. I was wearing a Saree, the students were singing songs for us and performing dances and every teacher got a medal and flowers.

I really liked the school atmosphere I think you could describe it very well by using the words “caring and sharing”. Everyone was friendly with everyone. Everybody shared his or her food with others. I remember me telling one teacher at school that the toilet flush at my boarding place was not working. Some minutes later there were 3 teachers including the principal coming to my house and repairing it.

The time passed so fast and I was very sad to leave the students and teachers and my Sri Lankan life behind to go back to my home country Germany. I had tears in my eyes when the students performed the songs I taught them on my last day at school. I will never forget all the nice experiences and memories I made in Sri Lanka the pearl of the Indian Ocean.

-Greta Alena Von Elsner
Share this article on :

1 comments:

Poo said...

It was nice to have you here Greta & I'm happy that I could contribute for your internship.
Thanks for taking this internship.
I wish you all the best ! !

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2010-2011 Matugama Education Zone All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by Herdiansyah Hamzah | Published by Borneo Templates | Powered by Blogger.comCoolbthemes.com..